Charlie Greusach volleys home our seventh goal

Street’s reserve side secured an excellent 7-1 win against CR07 in Kolkatta this morning, albeit the host team had to play almost an hour with ten men after Linards Vonda was forced out of the game and there was no substitute named to take his place.

Street had just gone 2-1 up, and were in the ascendency, but there’s no doubt the loss of the player affected the Indian side.

Eskild said afterwards, “It’s impossible to say whether we would have won so convincingly had they been able to make a substitution, but Tommy certainly got a lot more room to play in once the lad went off”.

“I hear he’s not badly injured though, and we wish him a speedy recovery”.

Brook Street took the lead in the second minute when Olav Geers dropped a corner at Al MacHarold’s feet, and the veteran wasted no time in dispatching the ball into the net.

Geers more than made amends for his earlier error in the eighth minute when he dived to his right to keep out an Al MacHarold diving header that had ‘goal’ written all over it.

Although pinned back for long spells, CR07 were managing to break forward, and in the twenty-third minute Rysiek Dziubka neatly tucked home Linards Vonda’s low cross to tie the scores.

Al Caird slipped his marker and raced through to restore Brook Street ’s lead in the thirty-third minute, just before the decisive moment of the game: Linards Vonda’s injury.

Humberto Andrade rattled the woodwork with thirty-six minutes played as Street turned up the pressure and five minutes later, when Al Caird was played through, he made no mistake to fire home Brook Street ’s third goal.

Street were awarded a penalty five minutes after the break, and Paul O’Healihy coolly rolled the ball home to make the score 4-1.

Coach Eskild Bogholm got in on the scoring just after the hour mark, finishing off a through ball, before young Tom MacKenzie netted his second goal for the club in the sixty-sixth minute.

MacKenzie turned supplier four minutes later chipping over a cross which Charlie Greusach volleyed home to round off the scoring.

“It was a real morale-boosting result for us”, said Eskild afterwards. “The team’s been going through the wringer of late, so it was good to play without any pressure. It just shows what we’re capable of”.

The players are already on their way home as preparations get underway for Saturday’s match against FC Zippy.

“We’ve got to try to pick up something from the game, and hope that Medchester lose”, said the coach, acknowledging that his side were running out of games to secure their Division III status.