Brook Street's two-goal hero Paul O'Healihy attempts to break through.

A point next week from our home match against montford will almost certainly be enough to secure at least a Division III play-off place. Only a catastrophic and unprecedented defeat from FC MUNRO on the last day of the season could deprive the Monifieth club of the title, and coach Arjen Bogaert is not about to let that happen.

Following today’s 5-0 win over Dimsdale Gamers, he said that the result had propelled Brook Street Athletic to “within ninety minutes of the title and with it, at worst, the Division III Qualifiers”.

He continued, “We are all very aware of our position and what’s at stake, but this club’s playing squad are supremely professional, and I am confident there will be a party at New Home Park at full-time next Saturday”.

While this will be music to the ears of the Brook Street fans, the coach cautioned, “We are almost over the finishing line, however we must ensure we take maximum points from our remaining two games, otherwise we could find ourselves in a very difficult league next season. To let things slip at this late stage would be unforgivable”.

To give themselves the opportunity to win the title next week, Athletic had to defeat Dimsdale Gamers II this afternoon. Although the performance was far from their best, Brook Street’s 5-0 win was as comfortable as the scoreline suggests.

Athletic are notoriously slow starters, but it only took until the eleventh minute before Paul O’Healihy broke the deadlock. If however those in the away stands thought that the floodgates would open, then they were in for a disappointment. In fact, it took until the seventieth minute before Dan Zieleznik doubled the lead.

Paul O’Healihy got his second two minutes later, and Kyle Fair’s strike after eighty-three minutes along with Igor Bulatov’s with two minutes remaining gave the scoreline a more accurate appearance.

“It was just one of those days”, said O’Healihy after the match. “It took a while for us to break them down, whereas on other days we’d have finished them off before half-time”.