Andy Hautala slams home the opening goal of the afternoon against Chopper Athletic.

Despite going in at the break tied at 2-2 this afternoon, Brook Street were swept aside by Chopper Athletic in the second half, eventually going down 5-2.

Brook Street had started brightly and, from a set piece, took the lead after twelve minutes.

In a clearly rehearsed move, Paul O’Healihy floated the ball in to Eldvinas Sumlinskas who headed it back across the box. This caught the home defenders flat-footed and left Andy Hautala with enough time to bring the ball down before crashing it into the net.

The equaliser in the twenty-first minute had something of the bizarre about it, Frazer Ross’s cross-come-shot completely outfoxing Ville Yrjölä who was left grasping fresh air as floated over the his head and into the goal.

Seven minutes later, and Brook Street found themselves behind, Arturo Caldas showing Marcus Lövman a clean pair of heels before thumping the ball home.

Brook Street fought back, and with thirty-eight minutes played, a great pass from Yann Schories released Andy Hautala who slammed the ball home without a second thought.

The home side came out for the second half all fired-up, and set about the Brook Street defence with renewed vigour.

Choppers had the chance to take the lead after sixty-three minutes as some great play in the middle of the park released Stojan Radmilovic, however the Serbian striker’s shot rattled off the crossbar before being headed behind.

From the resulting corner however the home side went back in front, Cyril Bordewijk powering home a header which Ville Yrjölä just couldn’t get a fingertip to.

Choppers were now well on top, so it came as no surprise when Arturo Caldas met Cyril Bordewijk’s hooked cross flush on the forehead to give Ville Yrjölä absolutely no chance.

Brook Street were being forced further and further back by the incessant pressure, and with eleven minutes left, Frazer Ross breached the defence one last time to make the score 5-2.

“We played very well in the first half, but simply had no answer to them in the second”, said Arjen at the post-match press conference.

“Credit where it’s due, Chopper Athletic were unstoppable in the second forty-five”, he added.

He continued, “We’re all really disappointed with the outcome as we’d done so well in the first half. Andy [Hautala] took his goals really well, and we looked a real threat going forward, but in the second half they pinned us right back and we simply couldn’t break out”.

Looking forward, Arjen said, “We’ve got no time to dwell on the defeat as we’ve got a huge game next weekend when Wilburhampton visit New Home Park. We bounced back well after our last defeat, so I’ll be looking for us to do the same next weekend”.