Onésimo Murube wheels away after firing home the opening goal today.

Athletic made it five league games without conceding a goal with a thumping 8-0 away win against gunner bairns this afternoon.

Doubles from Onésimo Murube, Paul O’Healihy and Maranaj Batusha were the highlights in a match that we dominated from start to finish. Athletic’s other two goals came from Eldvinas Šumlinskas and Yann Schories.

Athletic opened the scoring in the twenty-ninth minute, Onésimo Murube slipping his marker to fire home Yann Schories’ cross from close range.

Our second goal of the afternoon came from the penalty spot, the referee having been given one of his easiest calls of the afternoon when Andy Hautala was up-ended in the box. Paul O’Healihy outwitted the home keeper to send him the wrong way and double our lead.

A defensive blunder two minutes later presented Eldvinas Šumlinskas with a chance that he was never going to pass up, and the big Lithuanian duly dispatched the ball into the home net.

Two minutes before the break and Athletic were awarded their second penalty of the afternoon, a decision that could have been seen as being a bit harsh. However, Paul O’Healihy showed no sentiment as he powered the ball into the top left corner of the goal, far beyond the despairing reach of Gaizka Drake.

The home side were in total collapse, but were given a reprieve when the half-time whistle blew.

That reprieve however lasted until only six minutes after the break when Drake and central defender Bennie Snoeij left the ball to each other allowing Onésimo Murube to nip in and knock the ball home for his second and Athletic’s fifth.

Completely confident in their lead, Athletic were really knocking the ball around well, and from one of those swift decisive interchange of passes just after the hour mark that Yann Schories came in from the right to slam the ball into the net to make it 6-0.

Athletic slowed the pace at this point, however the scoring was far from over. Fourteen minutes before the end, hesitancy in the home defence allowed Maranaj Batusha to race through and thunder home the seventh goal.

Two minutes later after an almost identical move, the Italian defender wrapped up the scoring with his second goal of the afternoon.

A clearly delighted Arjen Bogaert said afterwards, “We got the reward today that our play merited. We dominated the match and finished off every chance we made. I can’t ask more than that”.

He added, “What particularly pleases me is that our goals today came from every area of the pitch. We’re sharing out the goals, and the goal scoring duties are not being left up to the forwards alone”.

“We’ve got the best goal difference in the league, and now we’ve got to reign in Accretia’s lead. With the final match of the season being against them, we’ve got to attempt to get back on level terms before then”.