Andy Hautala makes the points safe with his eleventh goal of the season.

Goals from Yann Schories and Andy Hautala gave us a 2-0 win over Glenury Untied in front of a capacity crowd at New Home Park this afternoon. The win now makes it a straight two-horse race for the league title between ourselves and Accretia.

Athletic put Untied under the cosh straight from the kick-off and within two minutes should have had a penalty when Paul O’Healihy was up-ended as he attempted to round visiting keeper Fingal Pringle. The referee however turned away instead of pointing to the spot and showing the keeper a red card.

This only made Athletic even more determined and they could’ve taken the lead after fourteen minutes however Onésimo Murube pushed the shot just wide.

Although Athletic were totally dominating the game, their task became a whole lot easier in the eighteenth minute when, following an off the ball incident with Kyle Fair, Claus Horgan was given a straight red card.

The incident had happened behind the referee however his assistant saw the whole thing and indicated that Horgan had elbowed Kyle in the face.

Glenury had been up against it with eleven men, but to hold out with ten looked almost impossible, especially in the twenty-second minute when Athletic were awarded a penalty following a hand-ball. However they were let off the hook when Paul O’Healihy fluffed his lines and put the spot-kick straight into the arms of Fingal Pringle.

The set-back clearly didn’t put the Brook Street players off their stride and nine minutes later they finally made the breakthrough, when Yann Schories drove home following a fine solo run on the left.

Athletic were completely dominating the match, but with only a single goal lead there was always the possibility of Glenury doing the unthinkable and equalising.

Onésimo Murube almost set those nerves at ease in the fifty-second minute, but for some fine goalkeeping from Pringle.

The two players seemed to be having a personal duel and once again it was the visiting keeper who came out on top in the eighty-first minute when he brilliantly turned away the Spaniard’s shot for a corner.

He was left powerless just two minutes later when another superb solo run and low cross by Yann Schories was driven into the net by league top scorer Andy Hautala to make the points safe.

“This could have been a real banana skin for us”, said Arjen at the press conference after the match.

“They play a very defensive game, so it was up to us to break them down. We played magnificently and got the result our play merited”.

When asked about the red card he said, “It certainly had an effect on the game, but I don’t think Glenury could have held out for the entire ninety minutes as we were pinning them right back before the ordering off. It was the right decision though; Kyle Fair is now missing two teeth and has a very sore jaw”.

“We were superb this afternoon, and now the title race is between ourselves and Accretia”.

He concluded by saying, “I am also very happy that we got this vital win in front of a capacity crowd. I think we can safely say that we entertained the supporters today”.