Daniel Hasnaş fires home his record-breaking sixth goal against St Johnstone B in this morning's cup tie.

Daniel Hasnaş became the first Brook Street player to hit a double hat-trick in a competitive match as Athletic swept aside St Johnstone B in this morning’s Scottish Cup Second Round match. For the second Cup tie on the bounce, the New Home Park side hit ten without reply as another Division V side were put to the sword.

Unlike last week’s First Round tie, Arjen had decided to go with the second string, however it wasn’t long before Athletic got on the goal trail.

With only six minutes on the clock, a fine through ball was latched onto by Daniel Hasnaş who drilled it past the home keeper to open his account for the season.

Athletic had to wait until the twenty-fourth minute to increase the score, however when Vitor Leocádio’s cross came in, Daniel was on hand to fire home the ball from point blank range.

Two minutes later it was 3-0. Igor Bulatov sent over a free kick high over the penalty box and in what looked like a well-rehearsed move, the ball was headed backwards and reached Daniel Hasnaş, who had plenty of space to place a well aimed shot and score his third goal of the game.

Athletic lowered the tempo, but were still potent going forward. Six minutes before the break there was no stopping Daniel who, in a carbon copy of his opening goal, rifled in another to make the score Daniel Hasnaş 4 St Johnstone B 0.

When the ball was played through the middle of the park two minutes before the break, the home defenders swarmed round Daniel anticipating that he was the target. However none had noticed full-back Liran Tzur stealing in on the blind side to chip the ball past the home keeper to make the half-time score 5-0

Athletic picked up where they left off after the break, and seven minutes into the second half, the score raised to 6-0 as Igor Bulatov broke in from the right to drive an unstoppable shot into the net.

Just after the hour mark, Daniel Hasnaş pounced on a defensive error to get his fifth, while in sixty-eight minutes, Liran Tzur fired home his second of the morning with a spectacular scissor kick.

Athletic were showboating now, much to the annoyance of Arjen, who let the players know in no uncertain terms what he thought of it.

Almost immediately this had the desired effect as Daniel Hasnaş took advantage of a misunderstanding between the home side’s keeper and centre backs to get his record breaking sixth goal of the game.

With fifteen minutes left to play, Archie Peacock got his first goal for the club to make it 10-0. Having picked up the ball in the centre circle and played a one-two with Oleg Zhigalov, he broke through and unleashed a real pile-driver of a shot which tore into the net.

With a quarter of an hour left, it seemed almost certain that Athletic would break that 10-0 barrier, but it was not to be the case.

“We seem to have an inability or unwillingness to score more than ten goals in a game”, said a frustrated Arjen Bogaert afterwards. “We should be able to hit another couple at least in the last fifteen minutes, but never seem able to”.

The coach however paid tribute to Daniel Hasnaş’s record breaking exploits saying, “It was some lethal finishing and superb skill that created this record, and Daniel should be justifiably proud of it”.

Clutching the match ball, Daniel himself said, “Everything I tried today worked. Some other days they wouldn’t have, that’s just the way it goes. We played well as a team, and I was fortunate to be in the right place at the right time to get onto the end of the passes”.

He finished, “The boss gave me a bit of stick for not getting seven, but I think he was only joking!”

Athletic’s reward will be a trip over to Fife in the Third Round to face fellow Division IV side, Lindsay’s Lovelies.

“They got off to a bad start on Saturday, but they look like a strong side”, said Arjen when the draw was announced. “They play a similar style to us, and the game is likely to be very tight”.