Daniel Hasnaş powers home our opening goal in this morning's match against Car Dusan.

This morning, at the third attempt, Athletic finally broke our duck against a Serbian side, however they were made to fight all the way and only a late goal flourish prevented Car Dusan from leaving New Home Park with at least the point that they deserved.

The 4-2 scoreline totally flattered Brook Street, and few could deny that 2-2 would probably have been a more accurate score, as Arjen indeed said after the match.

“The match was balanced on a knife edge and they got the advantage of the first goal. We had to go at them, and to be honest I thought we were fortunate to pull a goal back and then get what looked like a bit of a ‘soft’ penalty”.

He continued, “When they got the equaliser with only four minutes left, I thought we were going to have to settle for a point, but credit to the boys, they kept going and hit two in the last three minutes”.

“It must have been a sore one for our opponents to take as there’s no doubt there was never two goals between us. I certainly couldn’t have grudged them a point”.

Athletic have a truly awful record in the Brook Street Cup and as the game edged past the seventieth minute with the hosts trailing to Luka Zmaj Jovanović’s fifteenth minute strike it looked as if we were remaining true to form and floundering at the first hurdle.

Then with seventy-two minutes showing, Daniel Hasnaş slipped his marker to get in a powerful header to tie the scores.

Brook Street’s go-ahead goal came from the penalty spot in controversial circumstances after goal-scorer Jovanović was adjudged to have held back Daniel Hasnaş.

Amid continuing protests, Igor Bulatov rifled the ball into the roof of the net to make the score 2-1.

The Dusan players were rightly aggrieved by the decision and set about restoring parity with renewed vigour.

Georg-Wilhelm Hars almost did exactly that with five minutes to go, but home keeper Emilio Juárez turned the ball round the post. Although the resulting corner was cleared, the loose ball was picked up by Candranana Shukla who ran it to score a terrific equalising goal.

It’s said that the most dangerous time for a team is when they’ve just scored, and so it proved for Car Dusan. Straight from the kick-off, the ball was passed out to Yann Schories who along with Oleg Zhigalov dragged the visitors defence out of position to give Jake MacConnechy a free run in on goal. When the ball was crossed into the centre he hit it first time to edge Athletic back in front.

This was a real sucker-punch for the visitors, and things were going to get worse for them just a minute from time when Oleg Zhigalov scored to wrap up the win and secure three points that Athletic scarcely deserved.