Brook Street’s reserves comfortably saw off Independiente Chiriqui in Suriname last night, running out 7-0 winners in the end. However, four of our goals came in the final ten minutes to make the scoreline a more accurate reflection of the game.

Nemanja Jankovic had opened the scoring in the second minute, but it took until five minutes before the interval for Brook Street to double the lead, Lloyd Stephen rifling home from close-range following a mix-up between the home side’s defenders. Brook Street had dominated possession in the half, but only had the two-goal lead at the break.

Lloyd doubled his tally and extended the lead in the sixty-seventh minute with an unstoppable drive, but it took until the final ten minutes for Brook Street to turn their dominance of possession into goals.

Andrew Cleary had been closed down fast to stop him getting a shot off just after the break, but he was successful in evading his marker in the eightieth minute, to be on hand to re-direct a cross from the left into the net.

In an almost carbon copy of his first goal, a cross from Nemanja Jankovic landed at Andrew’s feet six minutes later, and he duly dispatched it into the Independiente net for his second and the team’s fifth goal.

Brook Street had their tails up now and a total collapse by the home side with two minutes of regulation time remaining, saw the visitors score two goals within sixty seconds to complete the rout.

Firstly, Nemanja Jankovic remained as cool as a cucumber to slide the ball past the home keeper from the penalty spot after a hand-ball in the box, then, straight from the restart another error in defence allowed Krsto Grubic to prod home and become the unlikely scorer of Brook Street’s seventh and final goal.

“We played some fine football out there tonight, and were well worth our win”, said Marcus afterwards. “We dominated the game from start to finish and were clinical in front of goal. I couldn’t have asked for more from the players”.

Phil Mullally made a surprise return to the starting line-up and proceeded to put in an excellent performance in the midfield.

“We’d originally intended giving Phil forty-five minutes”, admitted the coach, “but when he came in at the break he was still full of energy showing no adverse effects of his lay-off so we decided to keep him on”.

“That was his best performance for quite a while, so considering he was returning from injury makes it all the more better”, he added.

All of the players came through the match unscathed, so Marcus will have a full squad to choose from for Saturday’s trip to face EK Tuggers.