Muhammad Noorani fires us into the lead midway through the second half of extra-time.

Muhammad Noorani fires us into the lead midway through the second half of extra-time.

Brook Street bowed out of this season’s Scottish Cup, losing 1-0 on penalties after their Third Round match against Division III side Furious Focus had finished 5-5 after extra time.

While clearly disappointed to have been knocked out, Brook Street gaffer Leoš Loos was full of praise for his players.

“With a couple of easier league games coming up, there was always the temptation to field the first team today, but there was absolutely no way I was going to do this. It’s important for Brook Street to have a squad that is as strong as possible, and we’re not going to achieve that if the reserves are sitting out games like this”.

He continued, “We don’t have the largest of squads, so it’s important for the reserves to get match time which in turn keeps the first team on their toes. The reserves have performed admirably in this albeit brief Cup run showing real grit and determination along with a never say die attitude. I am very proud of them… although I think we need to practice penalties”, he added as an afterthought.

So it’s Saltire Cup action next week for the reserves, but they can console themselves in the fact that although they have bowed out, they have taken part in probably the most entertaining Cup run in the Club’s history which averaged more than ten goals per game.

The game started off badly for Brook Street as the visitors raced to a 2-0 lead before half an hour was played to go in up at the break. Muhammad Noorani pulled a goal back seven minutes after the break, and within a minute Brook Street were level after Phil Mullally weaved through the home defence to slot the ball home.

Fraser Carragher blasted the ball home with sixty-six minutes gone to put us in front for the first time, but the lead lasted only a minute before Nathaniel Heath levelled. John Ravenscroft fired Furious back in front midway through the half, but back came Brook Street and Matt Cocker fired in the equaliser with seven minutes to go.

Play raged from end to end, but neither side could make the breakthrough, and so the game went into extra time.
Muhammad Noorani looked to have given Brook Street the edge when he fired home midway through the second half of extra-time, but back came Furious and Alex McClean tied the game with five minutes to go to take it to penalties.
With both sets of players almost ‘out on their feet’ penalties can become a real lottery. However, it is unlikely that anyone expected that thanks to some outstanding goalkeeping and poor striking there to be only one of the ten penalties converted. Unfortunately for Brook Street, it was Furious’s winger Bernard Littlejohn who netted it to send the Division III side into the Fourth Round.