Emanuel Bohucký fires low to open the scoring against Stirling Bridge this afternoon.

Emanuel Bohucký fires low to open the scoring against Stirling Bridge this afternoon.

Brook Street survived a late resurgence by Stirling Bridge at New Home Park this afternoon to maintain their 100% start to the season. Having raced to a 4-0 lead, it looked as if the visitors would be swept away before two late goals of their own ensured that there would be a nail-biting finish to the match.

Kicking off in heavy rain, it took Athletic a quarter of an hour to get into their stride, but with their first clear chance they found the net; Emanuel Bohucký shrugging off the attentions of his marker to fire home.

And it was the Slovak who made it 2-0 seventeen minutes later, this time from a superb trademark free-kick.

Brook Street had their tails up and it was 3-0 within three minutes as Abel Soffia rose high to power a header home.

Stirling however were determined not to be there to make up the numbers and came out for the second half with renewed determination. Steve McManaman passed up two glorious opportunities to reduce the deficit, and these were to prove crucial as Attila Gyöngyösi headed Brook Street into a 4-0 lead with sixty-five minutes played.

Stirling’s Ferenc Puska reduced the lead with fifteen minutes to go and when Marco van Basten added another a minute later it looked as if Brook Street were wobbling,

Between the two goals Muhammad Noorani had come off the bench to make an unexpected return from injury and it was to him that the last chance of the game fell. Breaking through on the left he pulled his shot and could only find the side netting, much to his own disgust.

While happy with the three points Leoš Loos was less happy with his side’s defending. “We were very sloppy and were punished for it”, he said. We can’t afford to be so lax at the back and it’s a point I’ve been impressing upon the players. We switched off thinking the game was won. We must never switch off”.

On Muhammad Noorani’s surprise appearance he said, “He was 60/40 this morning, so we decided to give him the last fifteen minutes. He’s come through unscathed so we’ll get him back to full training next week.

However, Emanuel Bohucký will be assessed in the morning after taking a bad knock. “It’s one of those ones that could see him out for a week or back on Monday. We’ll just have to wait and see”, said the coach.