Substitute Matt Cocker blasts home our sixth goal.

Substitute Matt Cocker blasts home our sixth goal.

Brook Street have an excellent first half performance to thank for their win over Basel-Celtic today following a spectacular second half collapse. Leading 5-1 at the break, the game looked done and dusted, and even although the visitors pulled a goal back, Brook Street quickly restored their four-goal advantage. However two quick goals had the visitors’ tails up and Brook Street wobbling.

To some extent, the New Home Park side were hanging on for full-time, as Leoš Loos alluded to in his post-match press conference.

“Yes, we were certainly knocked off our stride by the two quick goals and they put us under real pressure for the last fifteen minutes”, he said. “We perhaps thought that the job was done at 6-2 and switched off. This is a lesson for us all that we must remain focussed at all times.

Phil Mullally had to be helped off after contracting a knee injury around the hour mark, but while everyone feared a long layoff, the coach seemed more optimistic.

“We’ll obviously have to wait and see how things go this week, but it looks more like he’ll only be out for a week at most.

Brook Street opened the scoring through Andy Harte’s delicate lob over the keeper with twenty-two minutes played, and although the league’s leading goalscorer Robert Nordeng levelled the scores six minutes before the break, Brook Street were quickly in full control.

Leoš Loos pounced to put Brook Street back in front just a minute after Nordeng’s equaliser, then Abel Soffia made it 3-1 in forty-two minutes. However, Brook Street weren’t done yet, and amazingly, two goals in the space of sixty seconds by on form Muhammad Noorani had them 5-1 up at the break.

Despite the enormous set-back right on half-time, Basel-Celtic weren’t done yet and Craig Goodall made it 5-2 four minutes after the re-start.

Then, out of the blue, Phil Mullally fell awkwardly and picked-up a knee injury. Matt Cocker came on as his replacement and it was he who put Brook Street 6-2 up with a fine solo effort in the sixty-fifth minute.

Back came Basel-Celtic with two goals in quick succession midway through the half, Ally Judge and Roman Donnald being noted as the scorers, to give everyone connected with Brook Street the jitters.

Basel-Celtic showed great spirit to get back to 6-4, but after a very visible wobble, Brook Street reorganised themselves and stifled the game without conceding any further goals.

The win saw Brook Street move up into second place, still three points behind Stirling Bridge, but with a vastly superior goal difference.